|Channel: Reuters: Technology News
|RSS File: http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/technologyNews
|Description: Reuters.com is your source for breaking news, business, financial and investing news, including personal finance and stocks. Reuters is the leading global provider of news, financial information and technology solutions to the world's media, financial institutions, businesses and individuals.
- Huawei to join forces with China Mobile to bid for Brazil's Oi: report
Sat, 21 Sep 2019 10:25:20 -0400
Chinese telecoms equipment maker Huawei Technologies Co is joining forces with China Mobile to potentially enter a dispute to buy struggling Brazilian carrier Oi SA , in an attempt to boost its footprint in Latin America's largest market, O Globo news website reported on Saturday.
- U.S. trade regulators approve some Apple tariff exemptions amid broader reprieve
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 21:42:59 -0400
U.S. trade regulators on Friday approved 10 out of 15 requests for tariff exemptions filed by Apple Inc amid a broader reprieve on levies on computer parts, according to a public docket published by the U.S. Trade Representative and a Federal Register notice.
- Facebook suspends tens of thousands of apps in response to Cambridge Analytica row
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 21:08:17 -0400
Facebook Inc said on Friday it has suspended tens of thousands of apps on the social networking platform, as part of the company's ongoing app developer investigation it began in March 2018 in response to the Cambridge Analytica row.
- Few U.S. lawmakers hit 'like' button after Facebook CEO visits Capitol Hill
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 17:21:53 -0400
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg wrapped up three days of discussions with Washington movers and shakers on Friday, with few if any indications he had won new "friends" to help the top social media company deal with multiple probes by Congress, state attorneys general and federal regulators.
- Exclusive: Fitbit considers whether it should explore a sale - sources
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 17:11:21 -0400
Wearable device maker Fitbit Inc has been in talks with an investment bank about the possibility of exploring a sale amid challenges in successfully pivoting from fitness trackers to smartwatches, people familiar with the matter said on Friday.
- Uber sues New York City over cruising and licensing caps
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 16:48:40 -0400
Uber Technologies Inc sued New York City on Friday, seeking to void a new rule limiting how much time its drivers can spend cruising streets in busy areas of Manhattan without passengers, saying it threatens to undermine the company's ride-sharing model.
- Amazon vows to be carbon neutral by 2040, buying 100,000 electric vans
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:14:51 -0400
Amazon.com Inc Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos on Thursday pledged to make the largest U.S. e-commerce company net carbon neutral by 2040 and to buy 100,000 electric delivery vans from a start-up, as employees and consumers around the world plan protests to address climate change.
- CME to start offering options on bitcoin futures early next year
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:32:09 -0400
CME Group, the world's largest futures exchange operator, said on Friday it plans to launch options on its bitcoin futures contracts in the first quarter of 2020, giving traders another way to hedge their risk in the cryptocurrency.
- Netflix chief says 'The Crown' will look a bargain after streaming explosion
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:24:50 -0400
Netflix Chief Executive Reed Hastings said on Friday the entrance of Apple, Disney and NBC to the global streaming market will push content costs to levels that make its epic drama about the British Royal family "look like a bargain".
- U.S. dollar to be main currency underpinning Facebook's Libra: Spiegel
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 13:12:40 -0400
The U.S. dollar will make up 50% of the basket of currencies backing Facebook's planned digital coin Libra, with the euro, yen, sterling and Singapore dollar comprising the rest, Der Spiegel reported, referring to a letter from Facebook.
- No crowds as Apple's iPhone 11 hits stores in China
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 12:05:01 -0400
Apple's latest iPhone 11 range hit stores in China on Friday, with short queues of die-hard fans contrasting with the hundreds who camped out ahead of some previous launches.
- Germany to raise incentives for buying electric cars: climate policy document
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:58:02 -0400
The German government will raise incentives for buying electric cars under its new climate plan, as well as raising road tolls for trucks from 2023 and pumping money into rail operator Deutsche Bahn, a climate policy document seen by Reuters showed.
- Uber awaits renewal decision on vital London license, just five days before expiry
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:54:21 -0400
Uber is still waiting to see whether its license in London, which expires on Wednesday, will be renewed as the regulator, which previously stripped the taxi app of its right to operate in the city, remains tight-lipped about the decision.
- Undeterred, Facebook to press on with Libra launch next year: executive
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 10:54:09 -0400
Facebook still aims to launch its Libra digital currency next year, its executive overseeing the project told Swiss newspaper NZZ, as the company presses ahead despite authorities around the world pouring cold water on the plans.
- Once hacked, twice shy: How auto supplier Harman learned to fight cyber carjackers
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 10:03:38 -0400
When researchers remotely hacked a Jeep Cherokee in 2015, slowing it to a crawl in the middle of a U.S. highway, the portal the hackers used was an infotainment system made by supplier Harman International.
- Europe's China telecoms gear ban would cost industry $3.5 billion: report
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 09:27:58 -0400
Replacing Chinese telecoms equipment would cost European telecom operators about $3.5 billion, a report by industry research firm Strand Consult predicted on Friday, far lower than the figure a lobby group came up with.
- Ramp walks, dancing: Indian watchdog clamps down on flight crew TikTok videos
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 09:03:40 -0400
India's aviation regulator has told airlines to crack down on the behavior of flight crew after several videos on popular Chinese video app TikTok showed crew members singing and dancing while on duty, a senior official told Reuters.
- Google to invest 3 billion euros in European data centers
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 06:14:49 -0400
Google will make an additional investment of 3 billion euros ($3.3 billion) over the next two years to expand its European data centers, Chief Executive Sundar Pichai said in Finland.
- Comedy Central and Channel 5 shows to join Britbox streaming service: ITV
Fri, 20 Sep 2019 05:21:06 -0400
Television boxsets from Viacom-owned Channel 5 as well as British comedies from Comedy Central UK will appear on Britbox, a new British joint venture video streaming service from the BBC and ITV, ITV said on Friday.
- Facebook CEO Zuckerberg meets Trump, seeks to mend fences in Washington
Thu, 19 Sep 2019 20:57:36 -0400
Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg met with President Donald Trump on Thursday during a fence-mending visit to Washington where the chief executive faced aggressive questioning from lawmakers about the social network's failures to protect consumer privacy.