|Channel: Reuters: Technology News
|RSS File: http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/technologyNews
|Description: Reuters.com is your source for breaking news, business, financial and investing news, including personal finance and stocks. Reuters is the leading global provider of news, financial information and technology solutions to the world's media, financial institutions, businesses and individuals.
- Apple explores moving 15-30% of production capacity from China: Nikkei
Wed, 19 Jun 2019 06:16:08 -0400
Apple Inc has asked its major suppliers to assess the cost implications of moving 15%-30% of their production capacity from China to Southeast Asia as it prepares for a restructuring of its supply chain, according to a Nikkei Asian Review report on Wednesday.
- China's Geely selects Swedish software firm as driverless car supplier
Wed, 19 Jun 2019 06:14:18 -0400
China's Geely has picked Zenuity, a joint venture between its Volvo car marque and Swedish technology group Veoneer, as its preferred supplier for assisted and self driving software.
- Electric dreams in danger as funding dwindles for China's Tesla challengers
Wed, 19 Jun 2019 05:05:19 -0400
Last year, Wei Qing and his private equity investment team visited more than 20 Chinese electric vehicle manufacturing startups.
- Activists urge Google to break up before regulators force it to
Wed, 19 Jun 2019 04:33:47 -0400
Shareholder activists want Google parent Alphabet Inc to break itself up before regulators force the world's biggest internet ad seller to split into different pieces.
- French photo startup Meero joins unicorn club after $230 million fundraising
Wed, 19 Jun 2019 03:48:54 -0400
French startup Meero, which offers online editing and production tools for photographers, has raised $230 million in a boost for the country's technology and start-up scene that President Emmanuel Macron hopes will boost the overall economy.
- Euroclear to press ahead with blockchain pilot for commercial paper
Wed, 19 Jun 2019 01:20:02 -0400
Securities house Euroclear said on Wednesday it would push ahead with building a pilot blockchain-based platform for issuing and settling commercial paper transactions used by companies to grease the wheels of the economy.
- Facebook's cryptocurrency ambitions face privacy concerns, political backlash
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 21:43:37 -0400
Facebook Inc announced ambitious plans on Tuesday to launch a new global cryptocurrency called Libra, part of an effort to expand into digital payments that immediately raised privacy concerns.
- U.S. lawmaker calls for Facebook to pause cryptocurrency project
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 21:43:37 -0400
A leading U.S. House lawmaker on Tuesday called on Facebook Inc to halt development on its new cryptocurrency and for company executives to testify before Congress, adding to global concerns about what the digital currency could mean for data privacy and security.
- Google invests $1 billion to ease housing shortage near California headquarters
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:14:43 -0400
Alphabet Inc's Google announced on Tuesday it would set aside $750 million in land and $250 million in financing to spur developers in the San Francisco Bay Area to build at least 20,000 homes and rehabilitate other housing over the next decade.
- Senior U.S. lawmaker says Facebook should halt cryptocurrency project pending review
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 17:24:48 -0400
U.S. House Financial Services Committee Chairwoman Maxine Waters said Tuesday that Facebook Inc should halt development of its announced cryptocurrency until Congress and regulators conduct a review.
- U.S. agency to vote on auctioning key unused parts of 2.5 GHz band for 5G
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 16:09:26 -0400
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will vote in July on whether to auction a key band of largely unused 2.5 GHz spectrum to help advance next-generation 5G wireless networks and scrap requirements that it be used for education, the agency said on Tuesday.
- U.N. surveillance expert urges global moratorium on sale of spyware
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 14:37:07 -0400
The world should impose a moratorium on the sale and use of surveillance software until there are rules in place to stop governments using it to spy on opponents and critics, a U.N. expert recommended.
- Explainer: 'Stablecoins' in the spotlight as Facebook unveils Libra cryptocurrency
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 14:19:20 -0400
The original cryptocurrency accounts for over half of the $285 billion global coin trading market. But that dominance is under threat, with a host of alternative digital coins emerging as developers race to build cryptocurrencies able to enter mainstream commerce and finance.
- U.S. regulator accuses head of defunct British bitcoin company of $147 million fraud
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:58:59 -0400
A U.S. commodities regulator has filed a lawsuit accusing a defunct British cryptocurrency company and its former principal of fraudulently misappropriating at least 22,858,322 bitcoin worth $147 million from more than 1,000 customers.
- Nvidia boosts self-driving AI business with Volvo trucks deal
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:46:31 -0400
Sweden's AB Volvo is joining forces with Nvidia Corp to develop artificial intelligence used in self-driving trucks, in a boost for the U.S. chipmaker that was dropped by Tesla Inc last year.
- Germany to support three battery cell alliances: economy minister
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 12:46:40 -0400
Germany will award to three consortiums 1 billion euros ($1.12 billion) in funding it earmarked last year to support domestic battery cell production, Economy Minister Peter Altmaier told Reuters, part of a bid to cut carmakers' reliance on Asian supply.
- BoE's Carney says keeping open mind on Facebook's Libra
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 12:14:40 -0400
Bank of England governor Mark Carney has said he is keeping an 'open mind' on the potential utility of Facebook's planned cryptocurrency, but warned it may face strict regulation if it takes off.
- Google calendar app down globally
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 11:42:57 -0400
Alphabet Inc's Google Calendar app users were unable to access their schedules on Tuesday as the app faced technical issues globally.
- Lyft, Agero partner to offer rides for consumers requiring tow assistance
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 11:38:19 -0400
Roadside assistance provider Agero Inc said on Tuesday it would partner with ride hailing company Lyft Inc to provide rides for consumers whose cars are disabled and require a tow assistance.
- World electronic gaming revenues to grow 9.6% to $152.1 billion in 2019: report
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 11:12:56 -0400
The global video and electronic games market will generate $152.1 billion in 2019, up 9.6% over last year as gaming morphs into content and communication, according to a report by gaming analytics firm Newzoo on Tuesday.