|Channel: Reuters: Technology News
|RSS File: http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/technologyNews
|Description: Reuters.com is your source for breaking news, business, financial and investing news, including personal finance and stocks. Reuters is the leading global provider of news, financial information and technology solutions to the world's media, financial institutions, businesses and individuals.
- U.S. extradition battle over Huawei's Meng ends first phase but Canada court fight continues
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:13:50 -0500
The first phase of battle over whether Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou should be extradited to the United States wrapped up on Thursday after four days, with lawyers for Meng challenging prosecution claims that her alleged actions are a crime in Canada.
- U.S. to unveil crackdown on counterfeit, pirated e-commerce goods
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 20:26:33 -0500
The Trump administration plans to unveil efforts on Friday to crack down on counterfeit and pirated goods sold on major e-commerce sites and urge companies to do more to vet third-party sellers and increase self-policing efforts.
- Uber self-driving cars, with humans in control, to cruise Washington, D.C. Friday
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 17:23:52 -0500
Uber Technologies Inc will put self-driving vehicles on Washington, D.C. roads Friday with human drivers in control, the ride share company said on Thursday, as it seeks to collect data for future deployment of fully self-driving vehicles.
- Broadcom to supply wireless components to Apple
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 16:42:30 -0500
Chipmaker Broadcom Inc said on Thursday it has entered into two multi-year agreements with Apple Inc for the supply of wireless components used in its products.
- Amazon asks court to pause Microsoft's work on Pentagon's JEDI contract
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 16:03:59 -0500
Amazon.com Inc said on Wednesday it filed a motion in court to pause the U.S. Department of Defense and Microsoft Corp from carrying out an up to $10 billion cloud computing deal until a court rules on its protest of the contract award.
- Video app TikTok partners with Merlin to expand music library
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:35:33 -0500
Popular video app TikTok said on Thursday it had partnered with Merlin, bringing its users a wider choice of music from the labels and distributors associated with the digital rights company.
- Food fight: UK regulator probes Takeaway.com's takeover of Just Eat
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:31:45 -0500
Britain's competition watchdog will probe Takeaway.com's buyout of Just Eat, possibly delaying completion of the multi-billion dollar deal to create one of the world's largest meal delivery companies.
- Daimler to build 50,000 Mercedes EQC models this year
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:16:38 -0500
Daimler on Thursday said it plans to build 50,000 Mercedes EQC electric cars this year, denying a report in Manager Magazin which claimed it had been forced to pare back its 2020 production targets due to battery supply problems.
- Orange boss doubles down on Huawei defense amid heightened security debate
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:02:55 -0500
The boss of France's state-controlled telecoms operator Orange on Thursday renewed his defense of Huawei's right to sell 5G equipment in Europe amid tense debates on the continent over mobile-network security.
- Ahead of Uber exit, Colombian president calls for tech level playing field
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 13:58:50 -0500
Colombia's President Ivan Duque said technology companies were welcome in his country, but they had to operate on a level playing field with local firms.
- Comcast takes aim at CNN with NBC-Sky global news channel: FT
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 13:04:28 -0500
Comcast's NBC and Sky will jointly launch a global news channel taking aim at CNN, the Financial Times reported https://www.ft.com/content/cf3aafce-3d30-11ea-a01a-bae547046735 on Thursday.
- Apple pushes back against EU common charger, warns of innovation risks
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:53:54 -0500
iPhone maker Apple on Thursday pushed back against EU lawmakers' call for a common charger, warning the move could hamper innovation, create a mountain of electronic waste and irk consumers.
- Explainer: Central bank digital currencies - Moving towards reality?
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:52:02 -0500
Central banks are looking at creating their own digital currencies - a stark contrast to the ethos of cryptocurrencies that seek to subvert mainstream authority over money.
- Tesla's German factory gets off to an explosive start
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:19:58 -0500
Seven U.S. bombs from World War Two have been found in the plot of land outside Berlin where electric car pioneer Tesla wants to build its first European factory, local authorities said on Thursday.
- Tesla overtakes Volkswagen as world's second most valuable carmaker
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 11:07:10 -0500
Tesla Inc has overtaken Germany's Volkswagen as the world's second most valuable carmaker behind Japan's Toyota , as the meteoric rise in the U.S. electric vehicle maker's shares reshuffles the global market.
- Risky to shut out any 5G provider completely: Merkel
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 10:42:45 -0500
Diversification is crucial to ensuring a country's security in the rollout of 5G mobile technology and shunning one supplier altogether risks being counterproductive, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Thursday.
- France uses Davos to pursue global 'digital tax' goal
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 10:27:01 -0500
French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire is optimistic of reaching a deal on a global tax on digital companies, despite an initial failure to agree one with the United States.
- France reaches deal with U.S. to push ahead with OECD digital tax talks
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 10:27:01 -0500
French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said on Thursday that France had reached an agreement with the United States on the basis for future talks over a global digital tax, at the OECD-level.
- STMicro CEO says a Huawei ban would not threaten $12 billion revenue target
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 09:17:48 -0500
Franco-Italian chipmaker STMicroelectronics would still reach its mid-term revenue target in the event of a ban of Huawei telecoms components in Europe, its chief executive said after the group published better-than-expected earnings on growing demand for its next-generation products.
- Germany to urge next Bolivian leaders to revive lithium deal
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 09:17:39 -0500
Germany will seek talks with Bolivia's next government to revive a deal to exploit jointly huge lithium reserves in the Andean country, as it works to secure supplies for production of electric cars in Europe's largest economy, officials said.